Hello! I am a dog named Bulencia! Sorry for my English, I'm a dog from Russia. When you have your first dog, you want to take care of him, but you don’t know how much to feed the puppy. We will talk about proper nutrition for your pet today.
How to feed a puppy - dry food or natural food?
You can feed your pet special dog food or natural food. But what to choose? This is a difficult question, but I will help you make the right choice. There are many pros and cons of each type of feeding. First, I’ll tell you about the advantages of special food for puppies:
- most dogs eat dry food
- There are so many feeds and you can choose the one that is best for your pet. This is important if your puppy has a health problem;
- It is easy to understand how much to feed a puppy;
- Special food is easy to store and you can buy a lot of food. It's comfortable;
- no need to waste time cooking;
- high-quality feeds are as balanced as possible and contain everything you need, so you don’t need to give the dog special vitamins and food additives;
But there are disadvantages of special feeds:
- the composition of the feed is precisely known only to manufacturers;
- quality food is expensive;
- Cheap food is bad for dogs. It is made from bad ingredients, using dyes and preservatives. I do not recommend buying cheap pet food, even if it is a product from a reputable manufacturer.
Natural nutrition also has pros and cons. Positive aspects of natural food feeding:
- you know that your pet eats fresh food;
- you know exactly what your puppy eats;
- the composition does not contain various additives - preservatives, dyes, etc;
- the dog receives natural protein and fiber.
If you want to feed the dog with natural food or want to treat your pet with a natural treat, then read my article "What do dogs like to eat? Top 5".
But there are cons:
- You should often cook food for your pet. Usually every day;
- food is not stored for long and only in the refrigerator;
- You must control the freshness of your puppy's food. If your pet eats stale food, he may be poisoned;
- it is very difficult to determine the daily food intake for your puppy;
- You must give your dog special supplements. This is necessary because natural food does not contain all the substances your dog needs.
If you feed your dog with natural food, then you should make up for the lack of vitamins and minerals thanks to special food additives (read the instructions before use).
How much to feed a puppy every day?
The younger your puppy is, the more often he needs to be fed. For example, if your pet is only a month old, then he should eat 6-7 times a day, and when he is 10-12 months old, he will eat 2 times a day. You should feed your puppy for the first time at 6-8 in the morning, and the last time at 7-10 in the evening. And the younger your dog, the earlier it needs to be fed in the morning and the latter in the evening. This will help your pet fall asleep better in the evening and not experience hunger in the morning. For convenience, use a special device for feeding dogs. It will help to comply with the feeding regimen.
If you have a newborn puppy without a mother, then you should know how to feed him. Read more in the article "How to take care of newborn puppies".
When drawing up a feeding schedule, you should consider the individual characteristics of your dog's breed, but in general, there are the following rules:
- at the age of one to two months you should feed the puppy six to seven times a day with an interval between feedings of 3 hours;
- at the age of 2-4 months - five meals a day, the interval increases to 4 hours;
- at the age of 4 months to six months - four meals a day (one at a time - morning and evening, and 2 daytime);
- at the age of six months to 10 months - three meals a day;
- at the age of 10 months. Up to 1 year - two meals a day - morning and evening. In small breeds, the transition to an adult diet occurs a little earlier, in large breeds a little later.
I do not recommend changing the number of feeds if the puppy is not ready for this. Usually, puppies themselves ignore one of the feedings, which is a signal for cancellation. If the pet shows that he is hungry, do not deprive him of food.
How much to feed a puppy with special food
I recommend feeding your puppy a special dry puppy food. In this article, I have already talked about the benefits of this method of feeding. To correctly calculate the daily feed rate for a puppy, you need to know its weight and calorie content.
The feed rate is indicated per 1 kg of weight.
up to 1 month
up to 3 months
up to 6 months
up to 12 months
If you feed your pet with elite food, then the dosage is calculated as 60 g of feed per 2 kg of pet weight. Typically, the daily rate is indicated on the food packaging. You must give this amount of food to your puppy throughout the day.
Do not feed your pet cheap food from the supermarket. It is very harmful to his health. I recommend that you feed your dog good food that contains all the necessary vitamins and minerals. It is not costly and is the best solution if you are not rich.
Remember that your puppy needs a comfortable place where he can relax after walking and playing. Give him a comfortable dog bed. It's necessary.
But remember that manufacturers provide this information for informational purposes. They do not know the individual characteristics of your dog. The daily feed rate may differ from the recommended one. You must understand that your dog is full and make sure that it does not overheat. Only you know how much to feed a puppy. This is critical for her health.
Calculate the perfect food for your pet. All individual characteristics, age, breed, and health status of your puppy will be considered. This is the perfect health solution for your dog. It is expensive but beneficial for the puppy.
Thank you for reading my article. If you have a puppy, you should think not only about his physical health but also about psychological health. You must educate a true family member and best friend. I recommend reading my article "How to get your dog to like you? 9 easy steps". Make your pet's life better with the Bulencia Dog Blog. Follow me on Instagram and Facebook.