Hi, I'm a dog named Bulencia! I live with two cats and my people - Max and Julia. Very long ago, Max's parents found a small newborn kitten. He was so small that he still could not eat on his own. 19 years have passed since then and the cat, which was named Alice, today lives happily with her people. I’ll tell you how to take care of a newborn kitten without mother in this article.
The cat must take care of her kitten for at least 8 weeks. But sometimes no one cares about the kitten, and he remains alone. A man can help him, but this is real work. If you decide to take care of a newborn kitten, then be prepared for difficulties. However, thanks to your patience and kindness, a healthy pet will grow out of a small kitten.
1. Find a cat with kittens
If you don’t know how to take care of a newborn kitten without mother, then the best way to help your pet is to find a new mother. If one of your friends has a cat with newborn kittens, then perhaps she will take your kitten into her family. I recommend touching the kittens of this cat first, then immediately touching your kitten. It is necessary that your kitten groin just like other kittens. But be careful! Another cat can kill a new kitten! If you find a suitable cat for your newborn kitten, then you are very lucky.
2. Buy milk
If you could not find a new mother for the kitten, then you must feed your pet yourself. To do this, use a special substitute for cat milk. You can buy this from a link on the Internet or find it at your local veterinary pharmacy. You need to do this urgently! Do not feed the kitten with cow's milk! This is deadly for your pet! It is also impossible to feed a newborn kitten with special milk for adult cats, this is dangerous!
You can feed the kitten with boiled water (warm) or rice broth while you are looking for a cat milk substitute. This is bad, but if there is no choice, then it is better than cow's milk.
3. How to take care of a newborn kitten without mother: feeding schedule
You must make a schedule for feeding your kitten. It needs to be fed day and night. Usually, the instructions for the cat milk substitute say how to feed a newborn kitten. But if there is no instruction, then follow this schedule:
At the age of 1-3 days, give 2.5 ml of cat milk substitute every two hours.
At the age of 4-7 days, give 5 ml of milk 10-12 times a day.
At the age of 6-10 days, give 5-7.5 ml of milk 10 times a day.
At the age of 11-14 days, give 10-12.5 mixtures and feed the kitten every three hours.
At the age of 15-21 days, give 10 ml of the mixture 8 times a day.
At the age of over 21 days, give 7.5-25 ml 3-4 times a day at the same time as solid food. I recommend contacting your veterinarian so that he monitors your pet’s transition to solid foods. This is a critical and difficult process!
When your kitten turns 7 weeks old, he should already eat only solid food. A kitten aged 6 to 10 weeks should be fed six times a day, a kitten aged 10 weeks to 6-7 months should be fed four times a day, and a kitten up to 9 months old - three times a day. Adult cats eat 2-3 times a day.
4. How to feed a newborn kitten
To take care of a newborn kitten without mother, you need a special device for feeding it. You can buy it at an online store or at your nearest veterinary pharmacy. I recommend using a special bottle for feeding because your kitten must learn how to suck milk, but if you can’t find it now, you can use a syringe.
Use only sterile items to feed your newborn kitten. But after sterilizing the feeding bottle, wash it in boiled water to rinse the sterilizing substance.
Follow all feline milk substitute instructions for use. The temperature of milk before feeding the kitten should be equal to the temperature of the human body. Do not use the microwave to heat milk. To warm, put a container of milk in hot water. Hot milk can injure a kitten’s mouth.
5. Important rules
Now you know how to take care of a newborn kitten without mother, but there are a few more rules that you must follow.
1. Create a comfortable bed for your kitten. This should be a warm and safe place in which your pet will be safe.
2. Measure the temperature of your kitten. Its temperature should be 35.6-37.8 degrees Celsius. You must keep the kitten warm to maintain this body temperature. Usually, an adult cat does this.
3. During feeding, the kitten should lie on its stomach. If you are using a syringe, squeeze small drops of milk into the kitten's mouth so that it does not choke. Be careful. The head of the kitten should not be lifted, otherwise, it will choke.
4. Wipe the ass of your newborn kitten. This is necessary to stimulate urination and defecation. If this is not done, then the kitten will fall ill and die.
5. Keep your pet healthy. If you have health problems with your kitten, consult your veterinarian.
6. Weigh your kitten daily with a kitchen scale. Each day, the kitten should become heavier by about 14 grams during the first two weeks.
Now you know how to take care of a newborn kitten without mother. I believe that you will be able to raise an adult cat that will live a long and happy life. Good luck!